What Is the Htaccess File?
Where is the htaccess file in WordPress? Before we answer that, let’s find out what the .htaccess file is exactly. The .htaccess file is one of the most important configurations in your WordPress site. It’s a server configuration file that tells your server how to behave and what to do when someone encounters content on your WordPress website. For example, you can use the .htaccess file to tell your server how to handle 404 errors – that is, when someone attempts to access a page that no longer exists on your site.
This hidden file is also used for other important configuration tasks, such as managing permissions for specific users and controlling how search engines crawl your site. In general, it is essential to keep this file updated and functioning properly to ensure that your entire site runs smoothly and efficiently.
So where is the htaccess file in WordPress? Keep reading to learn the answer!
Where Is the Htaccess File in WordPress Sites?
If you use WordPress, then the .htaccess file is in your root directory. The name of this folder may be public_html, www, htdocs, or httpdocs depending on which web hosting provider you have. You can find it by using File Manager in cPanel from your hosting account. We will go through each step together now.
- Open the file manager in your hosting account’s control panel.
- Find the public_html folder and click on it.
- Open the “WordPress” folder and find the .htaccess file.
Default WordPress Htaccess
WordPress will automatically create and save a .htaccess file in the WordPress directory after your first WordPress installation. This core file is loaded on every page load, so even if you aren’t accessing your site’s pages directly through WordPress dashboard, the .htaccess configuration will still be used.
How to Edit Htaccess File Via cPanel?
Where is the htaccess file in WordPress? Now you know, so let’s find out how to edit it! Editing the .htaccess file is not something you have to do very often, and most users will never even need to access this WordPress file. However, when you need to make a change, it’s good to know what to do!
Open your cPanel and follow these steps:
- Click on File Manager in cPanel.
- Open the root directory for your website.
- Right-click on the .htaccess file and select “Edit” from the menu.
- Remember to add any code before the line # BEGIN WordPress.
- Click on Save Changes to save any changes that you have made to the file.
Where Is My .Htaccess File in the Apache Web Server?
Apache is the most popular web server used on the internet today. If you are using an Apache web server to host your WordPress site, then the .htaccess file is located in the same folder as all of your site’s files.
If you need to access and edit this file manually, simply use an FTP client like FileZilla. You can also edit the file through the command line interface or terminal.
Where is the htaccess file in WordPress? We hope that after reading this article you know how to answer this question. Thanks for reading and stay tuned!
- Where Is the WordPress Database? The Location of Your WordPress Pages
- How to Delete a Site From WordPress? | Deleting a WordPress Site
- How to Upload a Theme on WordPress? A Guide to WordPress Themes
- How to Upload Documents to a Website? Upload Your Files With These Tips
- Your PHP Installation Appears to Be Missing the MySQL Extension Which Is Required by WordPress