If you’re running a Shopify store, sooner or later you’ll wonder “What are tags on Shopify?” They’re a useful feature that can save you time and effort in the long run. Learn everything there is to know about Shopify tags!
What Are Tags on Shopify?
Tags on Shopify are labels that you can add to products, customers, orders, and more. For example, you could add the tag ‘spring’ to all the products in your spring collection. Then, you could use Shopify’s filtering feature to quickly find all the products with that tag.
What are tags on Shopify supposed to do? Product tags help you keep track of what’s what, and they can be a real lifesaver when you need to find something specific fast. By grouping related items, you can perform actions in bulk, such as changing prices or adding to a promotion.
If you’d like to learn more about Shopify tags, keep reading! We’ll cover everything from what tags are used for to how to add them in this comprehensive guide.
How to Use Tags on Shopify? 6 Types of Tags
There are 6 types of tags on Shopify, and the ways to use them are similar:
- Product tags: These are the tags you can add or remove on a product page. You can then use product tags like ‘promo’ or ‘winter’ as menu filters or to create collections automatically.
- Transfer tags: You can add a tag on the details page of a specific transfer. They allow you to filter transfers on the ‘Transfers’ page.
- Customer tags: Go to a customer’s details page, and you’ll be able to add or remove customer tags. You can then use them to segment customers – for example, by their location.
- Order tags: Shopify allows you to filter orders in the ‘Orders’ page by using tags. Add or remove them on a specific order’s details page.
- Draft order tags: They work just like Orders tags, and they’re carried over to them once you create an order from a draft order.
- Blog post tags: Add tags to blog posts from their details pages. They don’t affect your customers directly, but they can help you filter content on the ‘Blog posts’ page.
Now that you know how to use Shopify tags of different types, let’s move on to…
How Many Shopify Tags Can I Add?
The number of tags you can add to each product, customer, order, etc. is limited to 250. So go ahead and add as many as you need – it’s hard to exceed that number! Just remember to use them wisely. Too many tags can be just as bad as too few. You want them to help you organize your store, not make it more confusing.
How Can Product Tags in Shopify Help Me Save Time?
We’ve answered the question, “What are tags on Shopify?” By now, you’re probably wondering how tags can help you save time. Here are a few examples:
- If you need to update the prices of all the products in your spring collection, you can do it in a snap by using Shopify’s filtering feature. Just find all the products with the tag name ‘spring,’ and then bulk edit their prices.
- You can use customer tags to segment your customers and send targeted emails. For example, you could create a ‘VIP’ customer tag and use it to create a customer segment with your best customers. Then, you could send them special offers and coupons.
- You can use order tags to quickly find and fulfill orders. For example, if you’re running a promotion, you could add the tag ‘promo’ to all the orders placed during the promotion. That way, you can easily find and fulfill them later.
As you can see, custom tags can be a real time-saver! Although they have little effect on SEO, keywords in tags can help to organize your store. So go ahead and start using them in your Shopify store today.
Do you have any questions similar to “What are tags on Shopify?” Let us know in the comments below!
- What Is SKU (Shopify)? How to Use Stock Keeping Units
- How to Add Products to Shopify? | A 2022 Guide to Your Shopify Store
- How to Add Pricing Table Apps to Shopify Stores in 2022
- How to Delete a Shopify Account? Canceling Subscriptions in 2022
- How to Export Images From a Shopify Store? Download Product Images