If you have a domain name that you purchased from a different web hosting company, you can transfer it over to Wix. In this article, we’ll walk you through that process. All you need is your domain name and Wix login information. Let’s get started with how to transfer a domain to Wix!
Transferring vs. Connecting a Domain
First, it’s important to understand the difference between transferring and connecting a domain. When you transfer a domain, you’re moving it from one registrar (like GoDaddy or Hover) to another (like Wix.com). This usually takes 5 business days.
Once the transfer is complete, your domain (including your contact information, DNS settings and registration payments) will be managed by Wix. So, you’ll be able to manage your domain and website all in one place.
Connecting a domain simply means pointing it to Wix servers. Your domain will stay outside of Wix, at your current registrar, and you’ll just need to update your DNS settings. Connecting a domain usually takes less than 48 hours.
If you’re not sure which option is best for you, we recommend contacting the Wix help center. They’ll be more than happy to help you out! Keep in mind that doing either is only possible if you’ve upgraded to a Premium account. Now, how to transfer a domain to Wix if that’s what you want? Keep reading and follow the steps.
How to Enable Domain Transfer
Before you can transfer your domain to Wix, you need to enable the transfer process by contacting your current domain host. This includes:
- Obtaining the authorization code (EPP code): Upon request, your current registrar will send this code to your domain’s registered email contact.
- Unlocking the domain: Again, your current registrar should do it upon request. However, it’s impossible if it hasn’t been 60 days since you registered the domain, last transferred it or changed the contact information. In the meantime, you can still connect your domain to your Wix site!
- Disabling the DNSSEC: Wix currently doesn’t support it, so if you have it enabled, you need to turn it off before the transfer.
Once you’ve done all that, keep reading to learn how to transfer a domain to Wix! It’s easy to do from within your Wix account. Go to our blog post on Wix: How to change domain name and get more valuable info!
How to Transfer a Domain to Wix
Now that you have the authorization code (EPP code) and your domain is unlocked, you’re ready to start the transfer process. Just follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Wix account.
- Go to “Settings.”
- In the middle of the top section, it will say “Domain: Not connected.” Click “Connect Domain” under it.
- Ignore the two big buttons – there is small text under them, saying “Advanced: Transfer your domain registration to Wix.” Click the blue hyperlink.
- Please read the instructions and choose “Start Transfer.”
- Enter the domain you’re transferring (e.g., yourwebsite.com).
- Open the drop-down menu and select where you purchased the domain from, then click “Continue.”
- Log in to your registrar account, then go back to Wix and click “I logged in.”
- Click “I unlocked it” if the domain has indeed been unlocked.
- Fill out the “Enter authorization code” field using the code you obtained from your current registrar. Click “Continue.”
- Select an extension period and click “Continue.”
- Check your contact information and update it if needed, then click “Continue.”
- Select whether you want your registration to be private or public, then click “Continue.”
- Choose your payment method and click “Submit Purchase.”
That’s how to transfer a domain to Wix! Wix will now email you, confirming that your domain transfer has been initiated. It may take up to 7 days for the transfer to be completed. After that, your domain will be automatically connected to your Wix account!