Why Delete Your WordPress Website?
There are a number of reasons why you might want to delete your WordPress.com or WordPress.org site. Here are some of the most common:
- The website is no longer needed or in use.
- The site is causing technical difficulties, and you need to start fresh.
- You want to consolidate multiple WordPress sites into one.
- You’re moving to a new host, and you don’t need the old site anymore.
- The site was hacked, and you want to start over from scratch.
How to Delete a Site From WordPress Using a Dashboard?
Now that we’ve gone over some of the reasons why you might want to delete a site from WordPress, let’s get into how it’s done. Just follow these simple steps, and you’ll have everything taken care of in no time! Here’s how to delete a site from WordPress:
- Log in. The first thing you need to do is log in to your WordPress site. This will give you access to the back end dashboard, where you can make changes, like deleting WordPress sites.
- Delete any plugins you have installed on your WordPress.
- Click on ‘My Site’. Once you’re logged in, hover over the ‘My Site’ menu item in the left-hand sidebar. This will reveal a submenu with several options.
- Select ‘Manage’, then ‘Settings’. In the ‘My Site’ submenu, select the ‘Manage’ option. This will take you to the ‘Settings’ page for your site.
- Scroll down to ‘Delete your site permanently’. At the bottom of the ‘Settings’ page, you will see an option to delete your site permanently.
- Click on the ‘Delete Site’ button. This will bring up a confirmation window asking if you’re sure you want to delete your site.
- Now you can export your content. If you want to export your content before deleting your site, you can do so from the ‘Tools’ tab in the left-hand sidebar.
- Click on the ‘Delete Site’ button again. Now you will be asked to enter your domain name (the page name in your URL) to confirm that you want to delete your WordPress website.
- Enter your domain name and click on the ‘Delete this Site’ button. And that’s it! Now you know how to delete a site from WordPress permanently.
What Are the Consequences of Deleting a WordPress.com Site
Site deletion is a pretty big deal, so it’s important to understand the consequences of taking this step before you do anything. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you are planning to permanently delete your WordPress site:
- You will not be able to recover your site or any of its content once it’s been deleted. This includes posts, pages, images, and any other files you have on your site.
- Your site’s URL will no longer be active, and anyone trying to visit it will see a ‘Page Not Found’ error.
- Any email addresses associated with your WordPress.com account will also be deactivated.
- If you have any paid plans (such as a custom domain or upgraded storage), they will be canceled, and you will not be able to re-activate them.
How to Delete a Self-Hosted WordPress Site via cPanel?
If you have a self-hosted site, there may be other ways to delete it. However, the easiest way is often via cPanel. Just follow these steps, and you will know how to delete a site from WordPress:
- Log into your cPanel dashboard and select ‘Hosting’ from the drop-down menu.
- Click ‘Switch’ to be redirected to the configuration system for your domain.
- In cPanel’s Auto-Installer Tool, select the ‘WordPress’ option.
- Click ‘Uninstall’.
How to Delete a Site From WordPress via FTP?
After you open your FTP client, use the provided username and password to log into your FTP server. Your hosting provider should have given you this information. If needed, check your web hosting panel’s FTP settings for more instructions.
To remove a WordPress site, follow these steps:
- Locate the WordPress installation directory and right-click on it.
- Select the ‘Delete’ option (or use the CTRL key to select the directory then press DELETE).
How to Delete a Site From WordPress via File Manager?
Access your web hosting account and go to the file manager application. Find the WordPress folder and delete it. That’s all!
How to Delete a WordPress Account? Step-by-Step Guide
If you want to close your account, you’ll need to delete your site and cancel any paid plans first. Once you do that, you can then remove your account:
- Click on your Profile picture in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Account Settings from the left-hand menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Close your account permanently. Ensure that you read and understand risks before clicking ‘Close account’.
- Type in your username and click ‘Close your account’.
Now you know how to delete a site from WordPress using a few different methods. Thanks for reading!
- How to Delete a Website? Remove Your Site With This Guide
- How to Delete a Shopify Account? Canceling Subscriptions in 2022
- How to Unpublish a Wix Site? Simple Steps for Taking Your Site Down
- How to Install WordPress on GoDaddy Hosting? Tutorial
- Where Is the WordPress Database? The Location of Your WordPress Pages