Can You Change Usernames in WordPress Without Plugins?
If you want to change your WordPress username, we have some bad news: by default, WordPress doesn’t enable this option. When you try to modify a user, the username is dimmed and there’s a “Usernames can’t be changed” notice next to it. As a result, you’re going to need to install a plugin.
It’s hard to say which plugin is the best one because they all do slightly different things, but we recommend the Username Changer plugin. It’s been around for a while and has proven to be reliable and helpful. We will explain how to use it in just a minute.
How to Change Usernames? WordPress Plugin
Now we will take you through the process step-by-step. As we mentioned, you will need to install and use a plugin – Username Changer. It’s located in the WordPress Plugin Directory and is free to download.
Using a Plugin: Username Changer
To install Username Changer, log in to your WordPress Admin Dashboard and click on Plugins > Add New. Search for Username Changer in the search box and install the first plugin that you see.
Now you need to activate it. You can find it by clicking on Installed plugins in the side menu of your WordPress Admin Dashboard. Once activated, you will find a new menu item on the left side menu called Username Changer.
Creating a New Username on the WordPress Dashboard
Now let’s get into changing your username in WordPress. Click on Users > All Users. Now pick the current username that you want to change. Click Edit and then Change Username. Now it’s time to enter your new username in a place of your old one and click on Save Username. And that’s it. Now you know how to change a username. WordPress is a powerful tool and with the proper skills, you can create a site that you’re proud of.
This plugin is not the only one you can use. You can also consider using Easy Username Updater or any other recommended plugin.
Why Does Anyone Want to Change WordPress Username?
There are a few different reasons why people want to change their WordPress username.
- Brand Name: You might want to create a new name for your site that is more representative of what you do, not just who you are. For example, if you’re running a business and use your own name as the name of your admin account, you can use another one like your business name.
- Reputation Management: If your old username is connected to something negative, such as an embarrassing username or one that has been compromised, you might want to change it for reputation management purposes.
- Security Reasons: Sometimes people will choose admin user names with numbers in them because they think it makes their accounts more secure, but that isn’t always the case. A username like “123456” is easy to crack, so instead you might want to choose a more complex one that is harder for hackers to guess or brute-force.
Whatever your reason may be, it’s important to know how to change usernames. WordPress usernames can’t be changed by default, but with the right plugin it’s possible. Using a tool like Username Changer makes this process easy and straightforward, so you can get back to creating your site without any issues. Good luck!
Create a New User and Delete the Old One
Wondering how to change a username? WordPress accounts offer us more ways to change the username. You can create a new user and delete the old one, or you can activate another username as an administrator account.
First, you will need to add a new user to your WordPress site by going to Users > Add New User on your Admin Dashboard. Enter the details for this account and click Save when done. Now go to Users > All Users and view the new user that you just created. Click Edit and then check the box for Administrator. You will see a pop-up asking if you want to assign your posts to this WordPress user account. Check the box next to Assign all content from before this point in time and click Save User.
Now log out of WordPress and re-login using your new username and password. You can now delete your old profile by clicking Users > All Users, then click on the trash icon next to your old profile and click Delete when prompted. Then you’re all done!
How to Change a Username? WordPress PhpMyAdmin
We’ll now show you how to modify a user’s login name in the WordPress database.
- In PhpMyAdmin, open your database.
- Click on the database name in the menu.
- Select the users table.
- Locate the user you want to alter the login name for and click Edit.
- Change the value of user_login to your new username.
- Click Go to save your changes. You may now log in using the new username.
So, how to change a username? WordPress doesn’t offer you that option, but there are ways to change it through the database or a plugin. Thanks for reading!
- How to Delete a Site From WordPress? | Deleting a WordPress Site
- Where Is the WordPress Database? The Location of Your WordPress Pages
- How to Install WordPress on GoDaddy Hosting? Tutorial
- How to Upload a Theme on WordPress? A Guide to WordPress Themes
- How to Delete a Website? Remove Your Site With This Guide